The 9th-degree red belt is the highest rank achievable to any living practitioner of Brazilian jiu-jitsu. According to Renzo and Royler Gracie, BJJ red belt ” is for those whose influence and fame takes them to the pinnacle of the art”. BJJ red belts holders are often called, Grandmasters. To get this belt its required to have a black belt for at least 48 years. If you ever wondered how many red belts are there in BJJ read this article.
BJJ Red Belts list
9th degree Jiu-jitsu Red Belts
1. Pedro Hemeterio – one of Carlos and Helio Gracie’s best students through the 1940s and 1950s decades. He is also one of the first to get red belt in BJJ
2. João Alberto Barreto – Joao Alberto was one of the top competitors of the Gracie Academy in the 1950’s being unbeaten in Vale Tudo matches. He also was UFC referee.
3. Reyson Gracie – third son of Gracie jiu jitsu founder, Carlos Gracie.
4. Flavio Behring– trained Jiu Jitsu since 1947 and became one of the Gracie Academy’s top students in the 1960’s.
5. Carlson Gracie- one of the most important figures in jiu-jitsu, and is considered to be one of the best representatives of the sport both as a competitor and as coach through his Carlson Gracie Academy
6. Carley Gracie– Son of Carlos Gracie, also known as the father of Gracie Jiu-Jitsu in the United States.
7. Geny Rebello–
8. Armando Wridt– he received a red belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu from the late Helio Graci. BJJ and vale tudo competitor.
9. Oswaldo Fadda– known for being one of the highest ranked non-Gracie black belts. His lineage is the most prominent second to the Carlos Gracie lineage.
10. Pedro Valente – Student of Hélio Gracie since 1953.
11.Wilson Mattos – Possibly one of the oldest student of Oswaldo Fadda.
12. Luis Carlos Guedes de Castro -black belt under Oswaldo Fadda
13. Francisco Mansur– founder of the Kioto BJJ academy, Master Francisco Mansor was also part of the exclusive group of 6 men to have earned their black belts from the late Great Master Helio Gracie.
14. Rorion Gracie– One of the founders of the UFC
16. Relson Gracie – second oldest son of the late Grand Master Helio Gracie. Brazilian national champion for an unprecedented 22 years
19. Francisco Sá – in 6 years he achieved instructor rank under Takeo Iano. One of the first practitioners to start jiu jitsu in the region of Ceará,
21. Amelio Arruda
22. Arthur Virgilio Neto– was a student of Carlson Gracie, received the red belt in April 2014
23. Candido Casale “Candoca”– was a student of the George Gracie, and received the red belt in September 2012
24. Crézio Chavez -Crezio was fast and very technical, hence he was called “Cabritinho” (Kid – Little Goat) by Helio Gracie. He competed several times for the Gracie Academy in the 1950s decade in Vale Tudo fights ending his career undefeated
25. Deoclécio Paulo – started practicing the sport in the 1940’s, being considered at the time of his youth to be the best competitor in Oswaldo Fadda‘s academy.
26. Eduardo Gomes Pereira– started training Jiu Jitsu in 1951 with George Gracie.
27. Geraldo Flores– student of Oswaldo Fadda, one of the main developers of Jiu Jitsu in the north of Rio de Janeiro.
28. Helio Vigio – former instructor of the Gracie Academy in the 1950’s. Was one of the best BJJ/MMA referees in the world
29. José Higino– was a master student of Adherbal Bapstista
30. Julio Secco–
31. Luiz Franca– one of the first Brazilians to learn Jiu Jitsu in Brazil. Luiz França was one of Mitsuyo Maeda’s top students. He started his own, non Gracie, BJJ lineage.
32. Nahum Rabay– was a student of one of the Gracie Jiu-Jitsu founders, George Gracie.
33. Nilton Pereira da Silva
34. Octavio de Almeida: George Gracie student and a crucial figure in the development of Jiu Jitsu in the state of São Paulo in 50s and 60s.
35. Oswaldo Carnivalle– George Gracie student and one of the pioneers of Jiu Jitsu in Sao Paulo during the 50s and 60s
36. Oswaldo “Paqueta” – Paqueta is Carlson Gracie’s best friend and he has greatest catalog of Jiu Jitsu and MMA tapes in Brazil.
37. Paulo Mauricio Strauch– Reylson Gracie’s student. Mauricio Strauch has trained numerous champions such as the world famous Caio Terra, Alexandre Vieira and others.
38. Pedro Emerito- The first student with Helio Gracie to reach the red belt
39. Walter Nogueira- president of the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Olympic
40. Orlando Saraiva- Black Belt under Carlson Gracie
50. Rickson Gracie– Son of Helio Gracie. He got his red belt from his older brother Rorion Gracie.
The 10th degree red belt list
The 10th degree red belt holders were only founders of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Gracie brothers:
1. Carlos Gracie
2. Gastão Gracie
3. Jorge (George) Gracie
4. Hélio Gracie
5. Oswaldo Gracie